Thursday, January 27, 2011

3 to 6 actually means ½ in

I read a twitter post yesterday “I would like to know where all weathermen in VA got their degrees from bc they should get a refund for their tuition. @djlamonte.” When I woke up yesterday morning,  the radio, which was on the country station so you know it had to be right, claimed that Lynchburg could receive up to 8 inches of snow and when I went to bed last night around 11:45pm maybe there was a half of inch. And while my heart was disappointed because it was set on working from home in front of the television today, this inability for weather forecasters to accurately predict the snow fall got my mind thinking about our spiritual lives.

How many times have I sat in a service moved by music or speaking and forecasted to God that my life was going to look a different way or declare some new action I was going to master in my life only to return to that same seat the next week, cause I am Baptist,  with little to no new spiritual accumulation into my life.  I start a new year with intentions of reading the whole Bible this year or reading so many times a day and by February I am a month behind. I have become a VA weather forecaster!

So how do I keep from being hypocritical? I do stop inaccurately predicting what my spiritual life is going to look like and start actually growing in my relationship with God?

The same way you eat an elephant…one bite at a time. See the truth is so many of us want our spiritual growth to be like a blizzard. We want it to snow and within 3 hours there be a 1 ½ feet of snow and by the time we wake up in the morning the accumulation has peaked at 3 feet. I know that every time the air turns white, the little kid inside of me wants there to be snow up to my windows and every time I sit in a service and feel the prodding of the Lord I want to wake up the next day a super Christian.

While snow fall happens that way sometimes, hardly ever does spiritual growth look like that. It takes small steps and little decisions. But a ½ inch of snow a day adds up over a month and a small step of obedience and pursuit of God adds up as well. And in my opinion, ½ inch is better than nothing at all.

So here is a little saying I have started using:
If you are doing nothing, do something
If you are doing something, do more
If you are doing more, reach your goal
If you reach your goal, ask God to give you a new one!

-deitsch

No comments:

Post a Comment